A recent patch made by Microsoft causes some problems such as
- Unable to access special folders like “My Documents” or “My Pictures”.
- Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the “My Documents” folder.
- Office files in the “My Documents” folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office.
- Opening a file through an application’s File / Open menu causes the program to stop responding .
- Typing an address into Internet Explorer’s address bar has no effect.
- Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect.
- Clicking on the plus (+) sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect.
- Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the “My Documents” folder.
These problems are due to a file installed by MS06-015 update, VERCLSID.EXE, which validates shell extensions before they are instantiated by the Windows Shell or Windows Explorer. On some computers, VERCLSID.EXE stops responding.
The reasons why VERCLSID.EXE stops responding and the solution for the problem is given in the Microsoft web site.